Raspberry Pi is small credit card sized, light weight and compact computer available which is used by both professions, hobbyist and of course hackers alike. Two years ago, Raspberry Pi 3 Model B was released which was the first 64-bit member of the pi family, and our first member with inbuilt WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.
Raspberry Pi Foundation have now released the latest Raspberry Pi – Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with the following upgrades
- 1.4 GHz 64 bit quad core ARM Cortex A53 CPU
- Dual band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2 wireless support
- Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
- (PoE) Power Over Ethernet support
- Improved PXE network and USB mass storage booting
- Improved Thermal Management
What is PoE?
Power over Ethernet or PoE is a technique used in wired Ethernet Local Area Networks that enables electrical current required for the functioning and working of a network device to be carried by the Ethernet cables rather than using a seperate power source for powering it. Using PoE, we can minimise the number of connections that must be used for proper installation and functioning of the device.
Advantages of PoE
- Lower cost
- Lless downtime
- Easier maintenance
- Greater installation flexibility than with traditional wiring.
Raspberry Pi B+ Model PoE HAT
Here comes the official Raspberry Pi B+ Model PoE HAT – A small add on board for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. You can now simply use this Raspberry Pi B+ Model PoE HAT to power up Raspberry Pi via an Ethernet cable by connecting it to a Router port supporting PoE.
This will eliminate the need for a separate 5V power supply and is an ideal method of powering embedded and IoT projects using raspberry pi.
Features of new Raspberry Pi B+ Model PoE HAT
- Power over Ethernet 802.3 a/f compliant
- Power over Ethernet Boot (PXE Boot)
- Class 2 device
- Fully isolate Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS)
- 36-56V Input Voltage
- 5V Output Voltage
- Supply 2.5A
- Cooling Fan Control (25 mm x 25 mm brushless cooling fan)
- Plug-and-play with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+